Find the answer to your Linux question:
It seems to me that 4 out of the 5 times that i try to start x, the system locks. Complete freeze. I cannot ctrl alt backspace out, i cant ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X fails often

It seems to me that 4 out of the 5 times that i try to start x, the system locks. Complete freeze. I cannot ctrl alt backspace out, i cant switch to term nothing. This happens quite often, yet when i do get x running, i can go for hours upon hours with it running fine. This is a slightly elderly laptop (266m) but x runs fine on it normally. I just recomiled my kernel, partly to speed up the system, but also in hope that it would fix this X problem. No dice.

Anyone else have this problem? The card is a neomagic, with 2mb on board video ram. (better than my old old computer )

When i run knoppix, x gets going perfect, every time. Boom. What is so diffrent between my knoppix's x, and my debian x. It is debian, 3.0, not sure what update, the disc was burned about 6 months ago.

I would try booting knoppix and copying the /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) and comparing it to the one that you have in the *real* /etc/X11 on your hard drive.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I think it was the frequecies. Some how i got it to work. Works like a charm now. Thanks, that was actually going to be what i was going to try if this kept up like it.