Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded my hard drive and decided to do a fresh install (of Debian) so that I could give KDE a try (I've been a long time GNOME user). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Problems with KDM or X

I just upgraded my hard drive and decided to do a fresh install (of Debian) so that I could give KDE a try (I've been a long time GNOME user). Everything went smooth! The problem is that when I start KDM the display is huge and I can only see a small protion of the screen. It's kind of hard to explain, but each letter take up about 1/5 of the screen and I can't see anything! I know I'm getting KDM's log in because I can recorgnize it and I'm able to log into the KDE, but like I said, the letters come out so big all I can see is a small portion of everything. Once logged in, I can't see the menu-bar, icons, or anything like that! It's a strange issue, and I wish I could get a screen shot so you can see what I mean! My xorg.conf file is configured the same as it was before (I just copied it over cause of my monitor being a TV, and it just worked before).

Anything ideas would be greatly appreciated!

could you post a screen shot?
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Try switching resolutions with CTRL ALT - or CTRL ALT +.
    Are you getting a virtual desktop that's bigger than the real desktop? That is, does the image scroll when you move your mouse past the edge, so that you can get other parts of the desktop into view? If so, then you can right-click, pick "Configure Desktop..." from the menu, select "Display" from the left pane of the window that comes up, and check the "Screen size:" drop-down list for other resolutions that might suit you better.

If neither of those works, then we might have to take a look at your xorg.conf to see if we can set things straight that way.

BTW, you say you're using a TV for your display. Is it a standard TV or high-definition?
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Sorry that it's been so long, I've been kind of busy!

Anyway, here are the screenshots...
    Picture
    Picture

They had to be taken with a regular camera cause I can't do anything with the way KDE currently is. I've actually noticed that the problem is that the fonts are what causing the problem, they are just way to large.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I also want to say that I've tried the suggestions above, some of them don't work and others are just not feasable! The scree doesn't scroll when I get the mouse to the edges and nothing happens with CTRL +/-.