Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi i am a slack 10.2 user. i am having thee problems with my xserver. i beleive it to be xserver problem..here they are 1) i am unable to change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy xserver problem-----plz help me at the earliest..

hi

i am a slack 10.2 user. i am having thee problems with my xserver.

i beleive it to be xserver problem..here they are

1) i am unable to change the screen resolution. Now its 640*480 and no other option is available(with refresh rate
    60hz)

2) when i end the GUI session i.e when i logout of xserver the display goes very wierd... .. it looks worse than the APPLE ][
    pc as shown in 1 of the screen savers...extermely big fonts and the screen doesnt scroll... i.e once displayed is what
    ll be displayed always........ no command execution results ll be displayed.....

earlier i couldnt run xserver....... when i executed the "startx" command it gave an error stating " no screens found"........ and some more........ then i used "xorgsetup" and it resulted in the xserver with the above properties...i.e low resolution........ and post logout problems...........

and all the problem with the fonts is only after i run startx and end that sesion and tery to return back to console mode......even when i am running xserver in 1 console its very much proper in other 5 consoles....

tell me whether i hav missed out a component during installation of OS.........or i hav to change some settings.......... plz help me out.......... i run only this OS and i am finding it very difficult to use it........with all big big icons and letters and hav to scroll even for a small amount of matter......... sad.gif ......... so plz help me at the earliest

edit your xorg.conf file and put in correct refresh rates for your monitor

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I use nano to edit files other popular editors include vi, vim, gedit, emacs)

look for section with vertrefresh and horizrefresh and change according to your monitor specs.

then look for section with Modes and put in resolutions you would like to use. You also probably should install video driver for your card (ati? or nvidia?)

there are many many instructions on how to install your video driver just search these forums or google your card manufacturer and model + linux. Or post here if you have any specific problems or can't figure it out.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Question Reply to spencerf

thank u for that...

but i couldnt figure out the things u said... i am attaching my xorg.conf file in txt format... plz check that out and let me know the changes in another copy of the file...
    Attached Files Attached Files

No wonder your display is messed up. Your xorg.conf file is ...pardon ... complete crap. There is no monitor resolution set up, no refresh rates, no gfx-card. It seems as if you removed all entreis by a not running xorgsetup properly.

Set up your gfx environment again with xorgsetup and enter VALID entries in there.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984

it would help if you would post your computer specs such as what kind of monitor (is it a desktop or a lapop) what kind of video card you have.

but you I modified your xorg.conf and will post here you can just use this and see if the changes I made work. But I must post disclaimer that since I don't know your refresh rates I made very general one's that might work or might f#$% your screen. I don't think they will but you never know. If you want to try it out and post back go ahead.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Smile Its Working

thank u spencerf.......

now its working..... as i wanted it..... no problem at all.......even after logging out i dont hav any problems.... everything is fine........ i made the changes as told by you and restarted the Xserver and it is working extremely fine....... thank u very much.....

now going ahead i hav a doubt.......

u introduced a line specifying the resolution.........now if want another resolution then i think i ll hav to enter that resolution along with the other resolutions given there and that is available as an option to me in my desktop configuration...........(provided my monitor supports it)...

am i right??

that's correct? So I put 1024x768 and 800x600 so you should have those two options at depth 24 if you want other options and your monitor (or the specs that I put for your monitor) support it then you "should" have the option within whatever display manager you are using. You got the theory now.

On another note I used the "vesa" driver for your video card which is the most general driver out there and will work for just a simple display but if you ever want and your card is capable of 3d rendering you will want to change this to match your actual card type but for now if your happy with what you got then let it sit for a while and try to tackle something else and come back and have a go at it. Nothing is more frustrating then not having a desktop environment to work in which happens when you screw around with X sometimes.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb I understood

yes i understood abt the driver..... ...... for the time being let it be as it is and as u said ll later come back to it........ by the way is that by anychance going to affect my video applications from running properly.... .. bcoz i am having some problems with my Mplayer.... though some were taken care off today... some more still persist.....

i wanted to know whether u r avialble in IRC at freenode.net..... i wanted to discuss some mre things...

using vesa will affect your ability to display some intensive video stuff. Also you do not have 3d accelleration enabled so anything requiring opengl will not work. But this is really only important for games or 3d screensavers. I'm real busy right now but drop me a PM and let me know when you can meet on IRC and i'll let you know if I can. But I'm sure others on their can help you with a specific issue. Just make sure you know your video card manufacturer and model. I saw you orginally had via if you just have an onboard video then you might want to consider upgrading to a agp or pci-express nvidia card if you really want 3d programs to run in linux (and windows for that matter).

Just Joined!

Cool irc details

well as such i am presently not having any ideas of running games or 3D screensavers.... so for the time being v ll postpone the driver thing........

there is 1 major problem with IRC....... our timings.... i am from India....
    but i think i can adjust....

my screen name or nick name is linux_seek.. i use GAIM and ll be connected to freeode.net server ........

tell me about urself.... and ur convinient times..... and ur usual times u login....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast