Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, When I boot my linux desktop into the GUI, the colors look fine and everything works. However, if a switch to any TTY (eg Ctrl+Alt+F1), as soon as I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video looks fine until I switch TTY

Hi,

When I boot my linux desktop into the GUI, the colors look fine and everything works. However, if a switch to any TTY (eg Ctrl+Alt+F1), as soon as I switch back to the GUI (Ctrl+Alt+F7) the colors mess up. Specifically, it seems that the dark shades (near black) show up as neon green dots. Black text looks really pixelly. I can still see more than 256 colors, it's just the near black shades that show up as neon green dots.

If I log out of KDE, or press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, it fixes the problem. Or at least until I switch back to a TTY.

Some details:
    - Software:
    - Mepis 3.4.2
    - KDE 3.4.2
    - don't remember which xorg version (I don't think I upgraded from whichever comes with Mepis 3.4.2)
    - kernel 2.6.14 and 2.6.16.14 (tried both - same result)

Please note I did have to recompile my kernel to get my SATA drive, sound, and NIC to work.

- Hardware:
    - Asus P5LD2 motherboard (Intel 945P chipset, integrated video)

Any idea what I should do to fix? Is any other info needed?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I made a mistake. I am not using an integrated video card. I am using an ATI X700 Pro card.

Just Joined!
    I found the solution.

By default, Xorg used the vesa driver. When I change it to the radeon driver the problem stopped.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close