Find the answer to your Linux question:
this is odd i rebooted after updating my gentoo system and loged in as a normal user, typed startx it starts up and crashes!! no error.. nothing it works perfectly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

oooooook........ X trobles

this is odd

i rebooted after updating my gentoo system and loged in as a normal user, typed startx it starts up and crashes!! no error.. nothing

it works perfectly as root or any other user BTW

did you update your kernel?

and if you did you remember to remerge the ati driver or nvidia drivers if you use them.

also if you have the "symlink" use flag you might be having a problem with your kernel symlink.

also did you run etc-update after you updated?

if you did do this maybe your xorg.conf got overwritten.

lastly any errors from

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    did you update your kernel?

and if you did you remember to remerge the ati driver or nvidia drivers if you use them.

also if you have the "symlink" use flag you might be having a problem with your kernel symlink.

also did you run etc-update after you updated?

if you did do this maybe your xorg.conf got overwritten.

lastly any errors from

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | less
    no

no don't use special drivers

no symlink

no i did not etc-update

no errors what so ever last messages is

"useing vt 7" then it starts X and shuts right back down

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    X works as other non root users aswell

very weird problem I can't really think of what would cause this for just one user and not globally except maybe if you ~/.xinitrc file somehow got overwritten or changed for the specific user that can't login. But I imagine you would receive error aboute "command not found" or something. But it's worth looking into it.

Also you could try the start command for your specific window manager/desktop environment

like startxfce4
    startkde
    etc.......

I would always run etc-update after you have done an
    emerge --update --deep world

because new packages are emerged and if you don't update your config files you will have conflicts.

I'm assuming you run an update world since you said you just got done upating your system
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by spencerf
    very weird problem I can't really think of what would cause this for just one user and not globally except maybe if you ~/.xinitrc file somehow got overwritten or changed for the specific user that can't login.

you win!! i was just on my way here to post that my ~/.xinitrc was corrupt somehow i looked at it and did not know why so i replaced it and im login into fluxbox as that vary user

yeah I love winning (lol). Glad you figured it out!