Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, a programmer at my office pointed out this problem to me, and i've noticed it at home on my mandrake machine and thought i'd ask. When trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Control+V, Control+C doesn't work? What's happening?

Hey guys, a programmer at my office pointed out this problem to me, and i've noticed it at home on my mandrake machine and thought i'd ask.

When trying to use control+c and control+v, in X, like for example, Mozilla and some development programs, mostly delphi stuff is what they do, he can't seem to use these commands, even shift insert doesn't work..... Is there a logical explanation for this, or do these commands simply NOT work in certain applications?

Thanks for the help!

Linux Engineer
    the keybindings for those commands are probably different in the various apps you/he are/is using...

if you're wanting to copy/paste just highlight with the mouse and use the middle mouse button...

otherwise, i'd say read the docs on the keybindings for whatever program you are using to see what it is that has been assigned the functionality you are looking for.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Guru
    Using the mouse buttons to copy and paste is the canonical way to do it in X applications. I think you'll get used to it, since it usually does make a lot of things easier.