Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
WTF? What does this mean? Does freedesktop develop an X server of their own?! Creating an X server isn't really a small undertaking. I'd be surprised that I hadn't heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

WTF? What does this mean? Does freedesktop develop an X server of their own?! Creating an X server isn't really a small undertaking. I'd be surprised that I hadn't heard about it if they truly are developing their own X server.

In any case, I know for sure that XF86 supports partial transparency. After all, the KDE menus use that and it works on XF86. The RENDER extension isn't anything that new, if I'm not incorrect. I just can't figure out why more programs don't use it.

Just Joined!
    There was an article on Slashdot about FreeDesktop. It looks kind of neat, but its still in the early stages, AFAIK.

Linux Guru
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK freedesktop.org is just a framework, not a complete desktop, right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    freedesktop.org is a free software project to work on interoperability and shared technology for desktop environments for the X Window System
    Unlike these groups, freedesktop.org is just a "collaboration zone" where ideas and code can be tossed around, and de facto specifications encouraged
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that was precisely what I thought. Then how can they be working on a X server?

They're not, AFAIK.

The closest thing to that would be either xouvert (which is a project "branching" off of X, but with every intent of working their code back into X) or XDirectFB (which is a rootless X server running on framebuffer).

/me shrugs.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Guru
    But then what was that thing on http://xserver.freedesktop.org/?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2