Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Not sure why, but when I started xwindows, I got a message saying I am not running a GNOME Compliant Window Manager. I first find this odd because it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Window Manager

Not sure why, but when I started xwindows, I got a message saying I am not running a GNOME Compliant Window Manager. I first find this odd because it was working the day before. I am quite new and don't know much about this. I know I was running sawfish. Is there anyway to simply re-install it? if so, how? Would anybody recommend another window manager? Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I'd never recommend any other WM than sawfish. Sure, it has some overhead, but in my mind it's worth every single timeslice.
    Anyway, are you sure that it's sawfish that is run now?

Linux Engineer
    You can just kill your current wm and then run sawfish from the command line.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Sawfish

Yes, I am postivie I am running Sawfish. When X Windows starts, the icon appears, hangs for a while, then continues. It is installed, just something went corrupt, probably from me messing with the system so much. How can I re-install it?

Linux Guru
    That depends on what distribution you are running.

Just Joined!
    linux redhat 7.1 w/ GNOME.

Linux Guru
    In that case, first make sure that you have the RPM for sawfish (you can find it on your installation CDs), then go to runlevel 3 and log in to a text terminal (as root), run "rpm -e sawfish" and then run "rpm -ihv <sawfish.rpm>", when <sawfish.rpm> should be replaced with the actual file name of the RPM.

Just Joined!
    I get an error after I type rpm-e sawfish... removing these packages would break dependencies:sawfish is needed by gnome-core...

Linux Engineer
    You don't need to remove it. Do rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs sawfish.rpm

Just Joined!
    Well, that worked. But I am still having problems in X Windows. This time I don't get any error messages. But I am having the same problem as before, I have no window manager. I can open up windows, but I can not move them, close them, etc. Any other ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast