Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to customize the various screen messages (like changing brightness) on my laptop. When I press on the "brightness up" button, I want an image displayed on the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

display image on screen (gnome/gtk2)

I'm trying to customize the various screen messages (like changing brightness) on my laptop. When I press on the "brightness up" button, I want an image displayed on the screen for a certain period of time (about 1 second).

I am as far as beeing able to run scripts/programs when I press the certain buttons (including all needed information) ...

whats the easiest possibility to display an image in front of the screen (on top of all windows etc) for a certain period of time? Is there an application that does this? Are there any libraries I can use to easily program this in a scripting language? Or do I have to get down and dirty with gtk programming in c? I'm pretty new to linux and would appreciate some suggestions from the pro's

It should run on Gnome / gtk2 since my distro is ubuntu 6.06

Thanks for any help or tipps!

(my preferred image format is .svg, although I could live with any other format)

Take a look at imagemagick. Basically, it's a command line program (actually, it's a bunch of programs) for manipulating images. Basically, running 'display image_name.png' will display the image. It has tons of options so you can setup things like size (dimensions), etc.

Just Joined!
    first of all, thanks for the hint!
    I haven't found out exactly how to display an image the way I want it to (without a window surrounding it).
    I tried
    $ display -window root image.png
    but nothing happened.

I want the image to be displayed on top of all other windows (just like screen settings do), without any frames/windows surrounding the image.

I know what you mean, however, I don't know how to get it to work that way. I think the easiest thing would be to combine the imagemagick command with some commands for the terminal window (for instance, for a while I had a totally transparent terminal without borders or a title bar, basically it looked like I was typing commands onto the backround). I'm not sure how you would go about this in gnome, but you should probably check out the commands for a terminal such as Aterm or Eterm.

I'll try to find the post on playing around with aterm or eterm, it's been a while...

EDIT: after much searching, I've managed to find what I was looking for

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I tried getting an image displayed on Eterm, but didn't succeed unfortunately (also, I couldn't remove the top bar [buttonbar])

I have been trying to write an SDL program in C, managed to display the image in a new window. Does anybody know how I could get rid of the window borders? (no, fullscrean does'nt work, it just makes the whole screen black and draws the image)

any other ideas? I'm desperate ...

Just Joined!
    I just had another idea: Maybe I could set up a gdesklet that displays the images.

Is it possible to communicate with gdesklets? For example calling a function on a running gdesklet to change/display/hide the image?

It should be possible, thought I've never used gdesklets myself. You might find something useful HERE. Though IMHO it would be easier to do what you were already trying to.