Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone know of an application that will allow my desktop to become a console window ? Basically, I just want my desktop to have the console over it so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Console on the Desktop ?

Does anyone know of an application that will allow my desktop to become a console window ?

Basically, I just want my desktop to have the console over it so when I minimise all apps, and click on the desktop, I can type in the console. This would allow me to monitor what is going on in that console without having a seperate window open, and it would make it so I always have a console available, rather than leaving one open all the time. Not to mention, it would look really neat

Anyway, I have done it on Windows machines with a command prompt, but now that I have mostly left the Windows world, I want to bring my toys with me.

I would also prefer if it allowed for a desktop image behind the text.

Thanks !

Which desktop environment are you using?

For KDE there is Yakuake, which I think does what you want:
    http://yakuake.uv.ro/

EDIT: Thinking about... not really sure it does it.
    Look on how you can customize Aterm...
    http://www.afterstep.org/aterm.php
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I am using KDE. Thanks for the reply, and yeah, neither of those will do what I am looking for. Do I need to find myself a developer friend to write an app to do this ?

I had assumed it would already have been made since you can already have things like the KDE Web Desktop and such.

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Linux Engineer
    Devilspie does exactly what you want!!!!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Do you have a link to devilspie ? I like getting it from the source rather than googling it since you never know what you will end up with downloading from a third party.

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, I found enough pages pointing to the developer's site.

Hmm... it seems like one heck of a program to do so simple a task. Also, I don't see how it can integrate the console with my desktop, all it does is apply rules to my existing console windows.

I am wondering if I am explaining it right. There are a ton of people who make desktop toys like the stupid eyeballs, and clocks and such that pretty much become part of your desktop wallpaper, so all windows, even your desktop icons can be placed on top of these desktop toys. I want a console like that, where the text is actually on my desktop image.

I know exactly what you mean, in fact I once configured eterm for pretty much the hell of it

Anyway, here's the (over a year old, but still usefull thread): CLICK.

Linux Newbie
    One question for you psic... How can you dock the term in a corner? I did what you did on the link and looks hella nice but it keeps poping up in the center and i would love to have it in the top right.. How would I do this?

I don't really remember, there are two things I can think of: one is to give eterm arguments which will place it where you want (I've just checked eterm's man page and I don't see this at first glance). The other thing you could do is play around with your window manager. There should be an option concerning the placement of new windows, possibly placing them where they were last placed. You can move the eterm by holding ALT and dragging it with the mouse.

Linux Newbie
    I was able to get Fluxbox to remember where to place it Now just to get it out of my taskbar it be beautiful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast