Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I am a newbie at Linux and am trying to install Red Hat Advanced Server. During the installation I was asked to choose a graphic card that my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wronly configured X-Windows on Red Hat AS

Hi Everyone,
    I am a newbie at Linux and am trying to install Red Hat Advanced Server.
    During the installation I was asked to choose a graphic card that my system was using, unfortunately it was not listed in the options, so I just chose one :AGX (generic). Oh well now I can't get any GUI
    I tried the "startx" command but it failed to bring up any GUI, I got some fatal error. So How do I reconfigure the X server? The GUI at install time looked beutiful so I can't understand why the system didn't ask me for the default it picked.

On a previous installation attempt I chose the most basic card (Unsupported VGA compatible), this did bring up the GUI but it was horrible.
    So having said so much, my question is how do I reconfigure my wrongly configured X system/server?

My machine doesn't have a PCI or AGP card I am using the inbuilt video card that is on the motherboard. It is a MSI motherboard (MS-6524) with SiS chipset (Sis961).

Use:

Code:
    redhat-config-display --reconfig
    from the command line.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

command doesn't seem to work

I tried the command but it is not recognised. I am not using Red Hat 9 but REd Hat Advanced server.

Ahhh, could be me mixing it up with Fedora Core. It might be called:

Code:
    redhat-config-xfree86
    or
    Code:
    redhat-config-xorg
    You can always try:
    Code:
    redhat-config-<TAB>
    and press tab again if it doesn't auto-complete (then it'll give you all the options).

And dont forget the '--reconfig' switch

Just Joined!

Angry still not working

The options mentioned are not available for red hat AS, i did try something like: xfree86configure.
    This setup ask me more difficult questions than during installation! Stuff like how I want my mouse configured and the refresh and sync rate of the monitor. Well one thing is for sure, i messed it up further! but since i had nothing to loose it was ok.

It is always a problem finding drivers for Linux! First you have check for the right distribution and then the version of the kernel and so on....

Really getting fustrated at the moment....any way please let me know if there are any useful suggestions

You might not have the config package installed. I'm not familiar with using up2date and the RH package manager, but if you can make it list the packages, you should be able to find the display manager package.

On Fedora core, the package is called 'system-config-display', so you probably need to do something like 'up2date --install redhat-config-xfree86'. We have a redhat server here at work, and this display tip came out of the redhat support docs on their main site.