Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright - I lugged my old Dell P780 17" monitor back up to my house from my parents place to use as a secondary monitor. I've got the Nvidia proprietary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nvidia Geforce FX5500 Dual Monitor Follies

Alright - I lugged my old Dell P780 17" monitor back up to my house from my parents place to use as a secondary monitor. I've got the Nvidia proprietary driver installed and it initializes just fine. However, I'm not getting the desired results.

The card in question (eVGA 256 MB GeForce FX5500 AGP) has both a DVI and VGA port in the back. When both are plugged in, Xorg sees the VGA (Dell P780) and doesn't output to the DVI (Dell 1801FP). If I unplug the VGA, the flat screen DVI output works fine. At the moment, I'm using my only usable xorg.conf setup, which goes to the VGA (Dell P780) monitor.

Now, on to what I want to do - I want to have a dual head setup with my Dell 1801FP flat panel as the main monitor and the Dell P780 as the secondary monitor. I've attached a diagram (overkill, but I figured I'd test out OpenOffice Draw for kicks) of what I want to do. I've also attached a text copy of my xorg.conf file.

I've tried following the guides and all I get is X not starting or having it hang. Does anyone know, based on my description, what I need to do to get Twinview working?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

"To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Now that I'm back at my home workstation and had a chance to test some tweaks out - it works splendidly. Thanks for the information!