Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm using a Debian GNU/Linux testing and xorg with fluxbox (my desktop is meant to be lightweight). I like Num Lock on, so I set it up for both ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Num Lock turns off when entering X

Hi, I'm using a Debian GNU/Linux testing and xorg with fluxbox (my desktop is meant to be lightweight). I like Num Lock on, so I set it up for both console and X (using numlockx there). It works fine, but when I switch from console to X, the LED turns off. Note that this problem is only cosmetical, as the Num Lock function remains on, it is just not shown. I wonder if anyone had this minor problem and knows how to deal with it.

It seems to be some "default" thing, for some reason it seems standard to turn off numlock (or at least the led) all the time (boot, login, X start, switching vt, etc, etc) - I've never understood why it's not default to keep numlock on, but I'd guess it's some legacy from a time when (I think) not all keyboards had a numpad.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

This might not work, by try running numlockx on X startup (add it to your .xinitrc file before fluxbox).
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    This might not work, by try running numlockx on X startup (add it to your .xinitrc file before fluxbox).
    I tried this as well as adding the numlockx line into /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup, but the LED keeps switching off.
    I forgot to add that when switching into a console (from X or another console), the LED state changes appropriately.
    Another thing to add is that this is not a bug in xdm, as the same behavior can be expected when X is started via startx.