Find the answer to your Linux question:
I use a Centos 4.0 system. I login by root with GNOME. I have done well for one year. Today I login by root then I get following error following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME errors

I use a Centos 4.0 system. I login by root with GNOME. I have done well for one year. Today I login by root then I get following error following dialogues

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-session. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-panel. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-settings-daemon. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Print Notifier. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.

GConf error: Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

All further errors shown only on terminal.

However, if I login by a normal users then it is all right. Also, I login by root and KDE then it is OK. Please tell me the solution.

Thank you

You shouldn't run GNOME (or XServer at all) as root. Do you have a special reason for doing this?

Just Joined!

I am an administrator and often login as root.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That you're an administator is no reason to log into X as root. You sould have an account that you use to log into X without root permissions. If you need root permissions for certain programs or commands use the command prompt and "su" or "sudo" to get permissions.

Just Joined!
    The situation happened. I want to ask you how to recover to orginal GNOME configuration of root

To restore original GNOME and Gconf configuration for root user:
    Code:
    # rm -rf /root/.gconf /root/.gconfd /root/.gnome /root/.gnome2 /root/.gnome2_private
    GNOME will recreate these directories to default when you run it.