Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I'm running FC5 with Gnome 2. Does anyone know a way to change the contents of the menu displayed when you right-click on the desktop? (I got really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gnome right-click menu

Hey guys

I'm running FC5 with Gnome 2. Does anyone know a way to change the contents of the menu displayed when you right-click on the desktop? (I got really used to having an 'Open terminal' shortcut in that menu from FC3 and I miss it dearly since it's not present there anymore).
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Gnome, but I've read that you can use an extension called nautilus-actions to edit the right-click menu. I've never used it so can't say how well it works, or if it works at all.

You can check it out here:

http://www.grumz.net/?q=taxonomy/term/2/9

Maybe someone else will check in with more info.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    I tried the nautilus-actions but it seems to allow the editing of the menu displayed when right-clicking files and/or folders

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sharkyro
    I tried the nautilus-actions but it seems to allow the editing of the menu displayed when right-clicking files and/or folders
    Yes, it is, but the Desktop is treated as a special folder in Nautilus. All files on the Desktop has a special schemes called "x-nautilus-desktop". You have to add it in the schemes list in the "Advanced Conditions" tab.

To make your life easier, I have submited the configuration on the official repository so you can have it directly here :

http://www.grumz.net/?q=node/262

Just download the schemas file and import it with Nact.

Hope it helps !

GrumZ

Linux Newbie
    It did! Thank you very much

Sorry for such a laaaate reply but I've been super-busy

Just Joined!

Tutorial "How To" for adding actions in the right-click Menu

I hope this will be useful for those of you that want to add a command to the right click menu. Here is how i do it (LinuxMint 9 Isadora).
    First you have to install a program called << Nautilus Actions Configuration>>, wich you will find in <<Sofware Manager>> under the name <<nautilus-actions>>.
    After u have instaled this program, open it and from the <<File>> menu select <<New Action>>.
    Then click on <<New Nautilus action >> tab so you can configure it. This is where the fun begun for me, since I have 2 weeks since I use Linux so it was a bit tricky.
    1) choose where you want your action to appear : in selection or location context menu.
    Selection is something like you right-click on a picture and you want the <<Resize>> option to appear in the list;
    Location is something like you right-click on the desktop and you want the <<Desktop Properties>> option to appear on the list.
    2) in Context Label you have to type the name of your action, like <<Desktop Properties>>.
    3) select an icon. Here is how i did it:
    Go to the action that you want to add to the right click menu, right-click on it and select <<Edit Properties>>. Click on the Icon in the Top-Left corner and it will open the location of that icon. Since is in a big format ( 48x48 ), go back in that window to the folder where you get to choose the format of the Icon picture and enter the 16x16 folder. In that folder you will find a picture with the exact same name as the 48x48 format. Select it and press Open. This is all for the Icon, but don't close the Properties window yet.
    4) in the Command tab, you must type the command for your action that you create. The command is found in the window I told you not to close earlier, on the Command line. Just select everything from that line and copy it, then paste it in Command line in Nautilus.
    5) press the <<Save>> button and close all aplication that we have opened before.
    Now you can check if your action appears in the righ-click menu and if it does what you want. It does if you have followed those instructions step by step.
    I hope this helps alot of people and remember that you will learn more by exploring yourself, rather than by reading tutorials like this.
    Have a nice day !