Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey ppl.. im seemy a newbie to linux as i have only played around with it, i firend told me about this XGL so i thouhg i would check it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XGL issue

hey ppl..

im seemy a newbie to linux as i have only played around with it, i firend told me about this XGL so i thouhg i would check it out.

around 6 installs later, VMware and troubles, then testing it on a old seagate HDD, i finally decided to resize my OS hdd and add 12 gig for a dual boot linux partition to install suse 10.1 and XGL and my orginal XP setup.

I finished that off last night and everything was running great, somehow i must have done something wrong and when i bootted into SUSE this morning, my root account hangs at the loading of 'Windows', the wierd thing is it normally loads the 'taskbar' first.

so i init 3 and loged back in as my user acount "ZerD" which logged in fine, except that XGL did not seem to be runnig and i have lost my window boarders and i am unable to move windows at all,

/very frustrating!

So far i have done the normal and scrapped through screads of fourms and webpages about how to fix it, 99% of them say to insure that my decorator is in the startup under config which it is....

Under control center / desktop effects setting it shows that 3d acc, and 3d desktop are both enabled and fine....

it looks like some ppl in the forum could help, not bad really this is my first post i have had to do as a freebie

well im dead stuck with options so hopefully someone can help me

Thanks

ZerD

You should be able to move your windows by holding ALT and clicking on the window. Try opening a terminal and running
    Code:
    compiz --replace gconf
    and see what errors you get. Please post them back...

Just Joined!
    hmm...

compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libgconf-dump.so'
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libminiwin.so'
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libtransset.so'
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libstate.so'
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libtrailfocus.so'
    compiz: Couldn't load plugin 'libbs.so'

looks like something is up with compiz...ill try a update maybe.

what do you think??

Just Joined!
    ok the update seemed to fix it....must have be corupted..:S

i made sure that compiz --replace gconf was in the startup plugins yet it seems to not be loading it on start up...so i have to open termal and start it.

Least there are no errors!!...and i have XGL back !!

any ideas on the no loading during start up?

Thanks

Are you running Gnome or KDE? Also is it the window decoration that is missing or all of compiz - you should be able to see a drop shadow behind the window and be able to rotate the desktop using ctrl+alt+left/right cursor.

Just Joined!
    I am unable to move windows (suing ALT) or rotate the cube...XGL its self does not seem to be running at all..untill i run compiz --replace gconf in terminal, then every thing works.

i am running gnome

Just Joined!
    p.s lol sorta a new problem now...i must have a bad tendincy to break something then fix it...or may its just the fact im messing with stuff i dont know enough about

anyways after messing with my xorg.conf file for a while( to get my tv out option running)...with a tutorial i manage to mess up my only user account...now when i login as ZerD its goes to a black screen for a lil while...seems like its loading then all of a sudden xserver seems to restart and im back at the login screen...

any ideas?

also i can only login to my root account if i use session type 'gnome fail safe.'..if i try to login as my root normally i get to the loading window ( the one where it says loading 'the panel' and 'window manager') and hangs on 'window manager'...could this be something to do with a incorrect setting under the root start-up somewhere?

many thanks

ZerD

NDL
    Just Joined!
    I am a new with Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10, XGL Enabled and 3D enabled.
    I get the cube to rotate when my dual screens are Cloned. When desktop streched I lost the cube and have one workspace.

For "compiz --replace gconf" I get "compiz: No composite extension"

Thank you.