Find the answer to your Linux question:
For increasing the speed of X-Windows, user on slow machine can use light weight GUI such as TWM, IceWM, Blackbox etc. If possible use the correct driver for the graphic ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Lightweight GUI For Linux

For increasing the speed of X-Windows, user on slow machine can use light weight GUI such as TWM, IceWM, Blackbox etc. If possible use the correct driver for the graphic chips/chipset on your system, not VESA.

For several applications, it's better to use text / non X-Windows applications on slow systems:
    Browser Lynx, links, elinks.
    Graphical Browser Links with svgalib.
    Bittorrent.
    FTP
    Download: Prozilla.
    Graphic viewer: ZGV
    Email / newsgroup: Pine

Is there any other idea or adjustment /WM for lightweight GUI on Linux?

oz
    forum.guy
    Graveman is good for a really lightweight GUI CD-burner. Otherwise, command line burns work pretty well.
    oz

Just Joined!
    on a 75MHz machine i run netbsd 3.0 > fluxbox > irssi > rox filer > xmms2 > gaim > links2...

fluxbox = Window Manager
    irssi = IRC client
    rox filer = file manager
    xmms2 = the new xmms, CLI with server/client
    gaim = instant msg
    links2 = web browser

those all run rather well on a 75MHz machine, there is no need to go the route you do, and pine is a POS, something like elmo would be better for a CLI e-mail client. for burning i use burncenter3, CLI and easy to use/setup, i even use all of this on my main workstation that is a 1.4GHz P4 768mb ram.

Linux Enthusiast
    Links2 can be made to work with not only svgalib but also X... I've done it in the past but didn't like it. In my opinion you get the same results from using Dillo, but with some extra things Links2 can't offer.

For WM I like Joe's Window Manager (JWM), it doesn't offer a lot of options but that's exactly what I like about it. Last I checked up on development there was some work on implementing pixmaps, but it currently doesn't do it.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

I've just started using a very light GTK-based torrent program called Transmission. I used the java-based Azureus before and was quite heavy on the resources. Transmission doesn't have many features but it is very light.

Just Joined!

Lxde

LXDE - lxde.org - is fantastic. Much lighter than XFCE but works better, in my experience, and quite fully featured. It's also based on Openbox, which is a good WM which can be used alone or with components of LXDE.

Also, CrunchBang Linux - crunchbanglinux.org - uses Openbox and adapts parts of LXDE, on an Ubuntu base.

"You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more" so I had to give you the raw links.

Just Joined!
    I personnaly use XFCE, it's light enought for me. It's also important to check if your video driver use hardware 2D rendering (check your Xorg.log or xdpyinfo).