Find the answer to your Linux question:
Would you advice me to use kde on red hat (8.0)? I like Red Hat, but I'd like to use kde because I prefer it on gnome( especially k apps): ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

desktop on red hat

Would you advice me to use kde on red hat (8.0)?
    I like Red Hat, but I'd like to use kde because I prefer it on gnome( especially k apps): some people told me if I want to use red hat, gnome is the best choice.
    What's your idea/experience?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    I have used kde on redhat 7.3 without any problems.

Just Joined!
    i have redhat 7.0 and kde and gnome both crash after about 5 mins for me.

I'm looking to reinstall linux on my desktop, but am going to go with something else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

kde

I'm with u, i much prefer KDE. It has always worked fine for me tho u may want to do some customization as Red Hat has made it look exactly like gnome. anyway, make sure you have kde installed by looking under system settings > packages. then log out of gnome, click on the word session on the bottom of the log on screen and select kde. so far, neither gnome, nor kde have ever crashed on my system. good luck.

Linux Enthusiast
    not quite, they didn't make KDE look like GNOME, they made both of them look similar. The GNOME default is a lot different than BlueCurve (which is the set of themes they ship with GNOME and KDE). I have had GNOME crash plenty of times, but that is because I run a lot of CVS stuff, and I do testing, so it is kind of expected. If I ran Ximian/RedHat/Mandrake/Dropline GNOME2 I am sure it would work pretty flawlessly.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    does mandrake 9.01 ship with GTK 2.2, and the latest XFree86?

Linux Enthusiast
    latest XFree86 is 4.3, which is like 2 weeks old, nothing ships with it yet. Same thing with GNOME 2.2, it was released just under a month ago.

Linux User
    http://www.mosfet.org/noredhat.html

well, thats some argumenst against kde on redhat 8..

Linux Enthusiast
    Mosfet is a talented guy from what I have read/heard, but take that with a grain of salt. He is also easily angered. He walked away from some development tasks due to anger about what people did. There are posts about it on dot.kde.org ( http://dot.kde.org/1003720345/1003753749/ is one)

Linux User

stuff

While I agree with his ethical point of view - if the facts he discusses are true. I run redhat 8 and i get no probs on my home pc what so ever. As other posts will point out I am having difficulty with another machine but thats really a different issue.

I would like to see a standardisation of ocde libraries for both winodw managers allowing them to natively support each others apps. Adn I like the way that RH has made both desktops look and feel similar. I currently use gnome 90% time as I find it a little faster and less cluttered. But sometimes I log into KDE coz it looks prettier and has few additional GUI config tools and apps which I like to play with.

cheers

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.