Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know that their are alot of different apps designed for Gnome such as banshee and apps for KDE such as KD3. But I was wondering how well these apps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE apps on Gnome and Gnome apps on KDE

I know that their are alot of different apps designed for Gnome such as banshee and apps for KDE such as KD3. But I was wondering how well these apps can run in the other DE. Do they work better if both DE's are installed and what about in light DE's like fluxbox...thanks.

i'm currently running K3B and Kaffeine in Gnome. i vaguely remember having to do something to get them working right, but know it's possible. Sorry i'm not much help it's been a while since i installed.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

You can run them just fine; but keep in mind that they both use their own shared libraries which must be in memory, so if you mix and match, be ready for the performance hit.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    so does it help with performance to have both installed? or will it work just fine with just one or the other?

Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by murph1083
    so does it help with performance to have both installed? or will it work just fine with just one or the other?
    If by performance you mean memory and such, it does not hurt to have both installed, it does hoever hurt to have both running, especially on low end machines. Don't expect K3B, amaroK, Konqueror or Koffice to crash your desktop if running Gnome, but expect this if you run them all at once on Gnome if your memory can't handle it. Try to find corresponding applications for each desktop. For example on Fedora use gyum instead of kyum if running Gnome. there are a lot of such correspondancies.