Find the answer to your Linux question:
From what I know Metacity is a window manager (default for Gnome 2.14). But how do I go about and install these themese here: http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=100 ? What does "GTK 2.x ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question GTK 2.x Theme/Style?

From what I know Metacity is a window manager (default for Gnome 2.14). But how do I go about and install these themese here: http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=100?
    What does "GTK 2.x Theme/Style" mean? Is there a gtk window manager or something? How do I go about and use the themes linked above? What will I need to set up?

Google doesn't give me an answer?

Runing Gnome 2.14 on Fedora...

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    GNOME has a theme installer. I think its under the Desktop -> Preferences menu. All you need to do is open the theme installer, then point it to the file you downloaded and it will do the rest.

nope

You do not understand me. There are 4 types of themes on GNOME-Look.org Themes for Metacity (which is the default window manager in GNOME 2.14), themes for Compiz, a hardware acceleration enhanced window manager and themes for GTK 1.x & GTK 2.x. Copiz is out of the question from the getgo because I own a Radeon 9550. But what about the other 2 (the GTK ones)? Why do thoes themes have different tags (GTK 2.x Theme/Style) What do I do to have them installed? Which software is needed? Is hardware acceleration required? That is why I asked about a GTK window manager... I still haven't found an answer to these questions.

Please post if you really know what you are talking about. Thank You!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Please post if you really know what you are talking about. Thank You!
    I really know what I am talking about and thats why I responded to your post.

Like I mentioned above, you use the theme installer in GNOME to install gtk, icon and metacity themes. You don't need any special software to install these themes because the theme installer is already part of GNOME. As for what gtk2 is, it is the GUI toolkit that is used to build GNOME 2.x, RealPlayer For Linux, Adobe Reader For Linux and other apps. GKT1 is the old GTK toolkit that was used for GNOME 1.x.

Thumbs up Thanks

Yea I finally figured it out where each goes. The ones taged Metacity go to the window frame and GTK go to the controls... And if I think about it it does make sense actually to have the controls themes named GTK in light of what you posted above. But for a newcomer it seems like a bit of a strech...

You can simply drag and drop metacity-, gtk- and icon-themes into the theme selector. It will automatically detect the type of theme it is and install it in the corresponding folder.
    Windows free since 2002 | computing since 1984