Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, so like everybody else, I got curious and wanted to see what all the fuss about it was. I found a couple of tutorials on how to get it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Want to see what XGL/Compiz is like

OK, so like everybody else, I got curious and wanted to see what all the fuss about it was. I found a couple of tutorials on how to get it working, followed them closely and still haven't found out what's wrong. I installed ATI's drivers from their website and installed all of the xgl and compiz components. I launched compiz-manager from the terminal, have the program running fine but when I go to the Select Window Manager option and switch from Metacity to Compiz I get errors that say cgwd can't open 6 different pixmaps: shade, unshade, above, unabove sticky and unsticky. I can't post the exact error messages because the forum thinks I'm trying to upload 6 images. Further inspection of the Xorg.0.log and Xorg.94.log files reveal nothing pertaining to the problem. The only other piece of evidence I have is when (after I've successfully installed the ATI drivers) I click on the ATI Control manager it launches with an error that says it does not provide FireGL X11 extensions. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem but I'm thinking I must have to edit either my xorg.conf or gdm.conf-custom to make everything play nice but basically, I'm clueless. Thanks for the help.

Did you got 3D?, if you have not already try glxinfo

Try asking at www.compiz.net there are a lot of people who know about compiz.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Not a direct fix to your problem or anything, but you could try one of the various live distros with xgl, such as sabayon.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Not a direct fix to your problem or anything, but you could try one of the various live distros with xgl, such as sabayon.
    Thanks. I think I will do that rather than messing with my system more than I need or want to.