Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all- I started having this problem a couple weeks ago (seemingly out of nowhere): When I log in to Gmail, all instances of firefox are crashed. I initially had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X error & gmail/firefox

Hi all-

I started having this problem a couple weeks ago (seemingly out of nowhere):

When I log in to Gmail, all instances of firefox are crashed. I initially had 1.5.0.1 (yeah, I know, I didn't update for a while), so I upgraded to 1.5.0.7, but still had the same problem. So I updated to firefox 2.0 beta 2 release, and yes, still had the same problem.

The funny thing is: after each update, logging into Gmail would NOT crash firefox FOR THE FIRST LOGIN ONLY, but after logging out and logging back in again, firefox crashes...

I ran firefox from the CLI, and the following error message is displayed upon crashing:

>> firefox
    The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 116 error_code 8 request_code 146 minor_code 3)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

What is the program "Gecko" and what does it do?

This is really frustrating, I like firefox a lot, but if I can't check my email, I might as well switch to Opera or Konqueror, neither of which really do it for me...

PLEASE, PLEASE someone give a frustrated noob some advice!!!! Thanks!

I had similar problems, only it wasn't limited to firefox. Basically my problem was/still is, with the flash plugin. There's a couple of files (cant remember the names, but are fairly easy to find) in the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory that you could try deleting. They're the flash plugin... something like:

Code:
    find ~/.mozilla/firefox -iname '*flash*'
    should find the files. i think one of them is an xpt file. Delete these and try again. That seemed to stop my firefox crashing, but obviously cant see ANY flash sites! Try that, see if that helps.

hth
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Wow, thank you sooooo much sdousley! The crashes have stopped!

I can live with this workaround, but what do you do personally if you need to see flash? Use another browser?

I moved those plugin files to a junk directory rather than deleting them, so is it possible to write a little script or something that temporarily copies those files back to .mozilla/plugins/ and launches a new instance of FF, then on closing that instance deletes the temp. copied files?

Thanks again, I've been pulling my hair out for a couple weeks now

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    My solution is to use a browser on another computer!! I have tried the plugins on other browsers and they all crash.

You could use a script to copy the files to the plugins directory, but when u open firefox on a flash page, it will just nuke it again, so there's not much point.

Do you know how you installed the plugin? It might be worth looking on the macromedia site (sorry, cant get a link at the moment) and install the plugin manually (if you used firefox to install the plugin)

Personally i found that once it started doing that, i could never get it working again, but strangely enough, it works no problem on my laptop!!exactly the same setup on there as there is on the desktop, but the desktop dont work, the laptop does... go figure!

Sorry i cant be much more help, but this is about all i have been recommended myself, and is all i have found myself having had EXACTLY the same problems myself!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!

Question Gecko

By the way in case you still want to know, Gecko is the firefox rendering engine. It's used in mozilla and netscape as well.