Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok im running rh 8.0, and when in gnome i goto the firewall configuration... and at installation i choose High firewall level which doesen't allow any remote connections to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gnome security config

ok im running rh 8.0, and when in gnome i goto the firewall configuration... and at installation i choose High firewall level which doesen't allow any remote connections to my box... but i want to make it so that i can ssh to my box remotely and use xwindows and etc etc... but when i choose the disabled security level... or GOTO customize and choose to "allow incoming" from SSH and WWW(HTTP), as soon as i save config, and restart the program, the settings are back to HIGH with customize turned off and use default back on... so no matter what i do the options won't change... so my question is how can i get ssh and http to work ?

Linux Guru
    This isn't the first time something like this happens. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't anything wrong with RedHat's firewall configuration program.
    Could you post the contents of /etc/sysconfig/iptables?

Just Joined!

hmm

maybe im an idiot or haven't done something yet but there is no iptables in /etc/sysconfig/ ... so what now?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Huh?! Are you sure? Can you give me the output of "ls /etc/rc?.d/*iptables"?

Just Joined!
    /etc/rc0.d/K92iptables /etc/rc3.d/S08iptables /etc/rc6.d/K92iptables
    /etc/rc1.d/K92iptables /etc/rc4.d/S08iptables
    /etc/rc2.d/S08iptables /etc/rc5.d/S08iptables

Linux Guru
    Are you really sure that you don't have /etc/sysconfig/iptables? It can't setup a firewall without it. What happens if (as root) run "service iptables restart"?

Just Joined!
    alright when i restart iptables in the terminal it doesn't do anything, it just goes back to the command prompt right away without any sign of anything... when i goto system monitor i don't see iptables under the processes... but when i type serviceconf in term on the list of processes in the window that opens i see ip6tables,ipchains, iptables, and ipvsadm
    out of those ip6tables ipchains and iptables are checked off... and i was able to "secussfully restart" iptables in this screen... btw my linux is connected to a wireless router but not wirelessly.. thats for the a laptop upstairs... but is connected to the back of the router on lan1...if that has anything to do with my troubles... and 1 more thing... i checked /etc/sysconfig definately no ip anything

Linux Guru
    Do you have some alternative software setting up your firewall?
    Could you give me the output of "iptables -L -n"? (You need to be root to run that)

Just Joined!
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

im pretty sure i don't have any other software running ...

Linux Guru
    You can say for sure that RedHat's firewall configurator isn't perfect...
    The output you just showed me means that you have no firewall. At least that makes sure that you won't have any trouble letting SSH and HTTP through... =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast