Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to change the X server that a program is connected to, so that it continues to run but the display is now viewable on a different X ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Moving X clients from one X server to another without restarting them

Is it possible to change the X server that a program is connected to, so that it continues to run but the display is now viewable on a different X server's display? I guess an X client could be written to support this by having the program change the X server it is connected to, but I want to be able to force any program to display to a different X server. Kind of like how many window managers let you move a window to a different virtual desktop, but moving it to a different X server, instead.

Anyone know how this could be done?

Thanks
    sal5ero

Do you want different versions of X running on different virtual desktops or on different machines? Because I'm pretty sure you can't have different X configurations running on the same machine at the same time. At least I've never heard of it, maybe it could be done with some serious hacking.

Just Joined!

Different machines

Essentially I want to be able to run an X client on my desktop machine, but connected to the X server display on my laptop (I can do this already), start it off doing stuff that will take a while, then shift the X client's display back to the X server running on the desktop (so I can shutdown/sleep the laptop) while the program continues running on the desktop.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close