Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everything on my recent Red Hat install has been fine (not including some driver issues that were worked out). For some reason though, things have been acting up. I booted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat 8.0 X Windows Startup Freeze

Everything on my recent Red Hat install has been fine (not including some driver issues that were worked out). For some reason though, things have been acting up. I booted up this morning with no real problems, but then I couldn't activate my wireless connection (as I have always been able to do). I restarted and still had the same problem. I then shut it down, worked on something else for a few hours, came back, turned it on and now it freezes when I try to startx. I will bring up the redhat emblem but it won't go beyond that. I can escape and go into command line again (so not all is lost).

The only thing that I've noticed is that on startup, I fail "Bringing up loop-back interface." and "ifup <DEVICE NAME>". That is the only sign that I've seen. I'm an extreme newb to Linux, so I don't know what else would be helpful in solving my problem. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    How can the loop-back interface possibly fail? Could you check the boot log (/var/log/dmesg) to see if anything peculiar shows there?

Just Joined!
    I can't find anything that seems suspicious, but then again, I don't know what to look for. If it is booting fine but freezing when I try to startx, then why would the error be in the boot log?

Linux Guru
    No, you're right of course. I was thinking that any kernel messages that could be related to the failure in bringing up lo would be caught in dmesg, which of course they are, but /var/log/dmesg is saved in sysinit script. Instead, try running (as root) "service network restart", and see if anything is caught in /var/log/messages. You can't check /var/log/messages for logging that occured during boot startup of the network service, since syslog isn't started yet.
    I'm thinking that the loop-back device failure is probably why GNOME fails, that it either looks up a host via some related mechanism or tries to communicate via it.

Just Joined!
    Guys, I wanted to sincerely thank you for all your help, but I don't think that I'm ready for Linux on my desktop yet. I may be copping out right now but when Linux becomes easier to use for the desktop. (ie, I can double-click an rpm and it just installs without having to scour the internet for packages that are required for me to install that rpm) then I will try again. I plan to utterly devote my time into reading more and more about Open Source software and the social implications of it and support it whereever possible, but right now isn't the right time for me to use Linux. I depend too heavily on my laptop to work everytime I boot it up and fixing things seems to be a bit too involved for my taste. Thanks again for all the help guys. Hopefully it won't be long before I can try breaking into Linux once more!