Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I finally broke down and burned the first 4 debian CD's because of my problems getting apt-get to connect to any servers (See Thread: apt-get woes in Debian help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X800 XT and XFree86

Well, I finally broke down and burned the first 4 debian CD's because of my problems getting apt-get to connect to any servers (See Thread: apt-get woes in Debian help if you want to help there ) and installed Xfree86 and Gnome. I configured X in a way which I thought was correct for my hardware.

Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Radeon X800 XT PE
    Dell 1702FP monitor
    Debian 3.1 r3 Sarge AMD 64

I found it odd that Debian was unable to automatically detect my hardware but configured it manually (or at least I tried to). I have an AGP card so I was a little unsure what BusID to put but because of what I read I used PCI:1:0:0. I set my monitor up manually using 31 - 80 for my horizontal sync and 56 - 76 for my vertical refresh range. Everything looked fine but when I do startx I always get Fatal Error: No Screens Found. I just switched to debian from ubuntu because I never could get my resolutions set correctly no matter what I tried so its quite frustrating to immediately run into problems with another distro. I'll try to find some way to get my config file posted though this will be difficult seeing as I have yet to get any GUI running so copying and pasting is pretty much impossible. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by band-aid
    Radeon X800 XT PE
    To get the correct resolution working, you must install ATI proprietary drivers. Check out this thread for the full instructions :
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/deb...g-started.html

Quote Originally Posted by band-aid
    I have an AGP card so I was a little unsure what BusID to put but because of what I read I used PCI:1:0:0.
    That's not a problem, you don't have to specify this, you can loose this line "BusID PCI:1:0:0" (but still, the "PCI" term is used for AGP cards as well).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    That thread is very helpful. The only problem I am having is I am unable to package the driver into a debian package. I do

Code:
    fakeroot ./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run --buildpkg Debian/sarge
    and I get the error

Code:
    ./package/Debian/ati-Packager.sh: line 1 :dpkg-arcitecture:command not found
    Error: unsupported command
    I've tried about every combination of debian and sarge as input for the --buildpackage to no avail. Thanks for the fast reply.

Which driver version are you using ? (Notice that the link I gave on that thread was for the 32 bit version of the driver.)

If you have Debian for AMD 64, make sure you use the 64 bit ATI driver, avalaible on their site.

Here is a direct link :
    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ler-8.29.6.run
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    A little off the subject, but I bet you when everything is configured that box is going to run nice. AMD x2 4400, sweet.