Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, guys, could you give me some pointers on some good refs/tutorials on Linux GUI programming in general, and Gnome programming in particular? Thanks in advance. BTW, I come from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Want to learn Linux GUI programming

Hey, guys, could you give me some pointers on some good refs/tutorials on Linux GUI programming in general, and Gnome programming in particular?
    Thanks in advance.

BTW, I come from a Windows GUI programming background, and I've written some command-line apps in Linux.

Languages like Perl and Python ( in combination with the Glade GUI builder) uses GTK+ to develope Linux Applications. GTK+ uses three main libraries, Glib, Pango and ATK. check this tutorial. it has some useful links to GTK+, Qt and Motif.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Enthusiast
    There's nothing easier than GNUstep! Building GUIs is as easy as dragging and dropping with GORM. Heck, even I could do it and I can't program for anything is this world. Here's the developer's guide from the Wiki:
    http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Developer_Guides

As you've come from Windows, using GORM is very much like using Visual Studio. The hardest part is having to learn a new subset of C (Objective-C), but there's also Java, Ruby, Python and Perl (JIGS, RIGS, PyObjC and CamelBones respectively). The best part is that generally everything from GNUstep also works on MacOS X.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help!

BTW, what are your opinions on Qt? Is it good? Do you recommend it?

i dont have much experience in Qt. i worked on GTK+ with Pythin and Perl only.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First