Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 8 of 8
hi all , how can i list out all other Xwindows that are curreently running in my system. and what is xlsclient and how can i send message to those ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47

    list all running Xwindow in my application


    hi all ,

    how can i list out all other Xwindows that are curreently running in my system.

    and what is xlsclient and how can i send message to those windows.

  2. #2
    Linux Engineer Javasnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    942
    Not sure about xlsclient, but if you're running EWMH compliant window manager, you can use wmctrl to list windows and do other window manager-related things. If you're interested in accessing this list from a program you're writing, you can do one of two things:

    1) Use Xlib to access the EWMH property _NET_CLIENT_LIST.
    2) Use XQueryTree (also Xlib) or a simliar function to grab a list of child windows.

    Not sure if you're running an EWMH compliant window manager? Run this:
    Code:
    xprop -root _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK
    If it produces output, you're ready to rock!
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

    Registered Linux User #408794

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47

    thanks javasnob , but......

    thanks friend,

    i dont know , is this is enabled or not, EWMH compliant window manager.
    xprop -root _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK
    it gives me output.

    output: _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(WINDOW): window id # 0xa00003

    but unfortunately wmctrl is not working in my machine(red hat fedora core 4)

    Can you please elaborate more on this topic .

    how to list out all user windows names.

    please help me , i stuck again.



    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    Not sure about xlsclient, but if you're running EWMH compliant window manager, you can use wmctrl to list windows and do other window manager-related things. If you're interested in accessing this list from a program you're writing, you can do one of two things:

    1) Use Xlib to access the EWMH property _NET_CLIENT_LIST.
    2) Use XQueryTree (also Xlib) or a simliar function to grab a list of child windows.

    Not sure if you're running an EWMH compliant window manager? Run this:
    Code:
    xprop -root _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK
    If it produces output, you're ready to rock!

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Engineer Javasnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    942
    What error message does it give you when you try to run wmctrl -l?
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

    Registered Linux User #408794

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47

    command not found

    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    What error message does it give you when you try to run wmctrl -l?
    it gives me output:

    bash: wmctrl: command not found


    pls reply

  7. #6
    Linux Engineer Javasnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    942
    What distro are you using? You should probably try installing the wmctrl package if it's available, or install it from source:

    http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

    Registered Linux User #408794

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47

    wmctrl is not installed in my machine

    Quote Originally Posted by Javasnob
    What distro are you using? You should probably try installing the wmctrl package if it's available, or install it from source:

    http://www.sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/

    iam using a customized version of Debian GNU/Linux. and i also download your wmctrl package from the given link but when i give ./configur comand it can not create make files.
    say that no gcc is installed or not in $PATH. so i am not able to install wmctrl.

    please suggest that any .deb package so that i can install wmctrl.

    or is there any other way to enumerate all Xwindows in my application.

    waiting for ur reply
    thanks and regards

    hiimsa

  9. #8
    Linux Engineer Javasnob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    942
    Try apt-cache search wmctrl and see if anything good comes up in the search. You'll probably end up doing apt-get install wmctrl. Otherwise, you'll have to install a compiler, namely gcc. apt-cache search gcc should benefit you here.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

    Registered Linux User #408794

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •