Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i am building small linux system. i am trying to compile my X windows, downloaded fro X.org version X11R6.8.2. the only installation guide i can found is from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

configuration for building x.org source

hi all,

i am building small linux system. i am trying to compile my X windows, downloaded fro X.org version X11R6.8.2.

the only installation guide i can found is from the site.
    it seems that when i run "make world" it compiles everything.
    how can i configure the installation, so the size will be quiet small? since i will install it on a Compact Flash Card. (e.g. selecting only the appropriate driver, etc.)

from an article found in the internet :

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9202043619.html

it says that it is possible to create X windows system with the size 5MB RAM and 16MB disk. and clues how to do it?

thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

So im back again with the question. i try googling and find this thread in the forum but it doesnt help much:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...e86-build.html

I am new to linux actually, but now im doing cross development project to make small linux system on Compact Flash card.
    I am using OpenSuse 10.1 with Intel processor as my host and my target ystem is also x86 processor and will boot from the CF card.

I am finished with the basic system, now im starting with the X windows system. I have some questions that i couldnt find the answer after googling.

I am using the X11R6.7.0. from X.org and I am planning to do:
    - make the shadow directory build using lndir command
    - configure the host.def file
    - build the X windows:
    Code:
    make CROSSCOMPILEDIR=<PATH_TO_CROSS_COMPILER> World
    - install to the CF card (supposed it is mounted on /mnt/cf):
    Code:
    make install DESTDIR=/mnt/cf
    can i do this?

i am desperating since the last 3 days just to try build the package but it always fail. is there any detail reference to do this?
    i even cannot find a reference that describes what are the directories in the source packages for, and how to make the configuration.

big thanks for helping for the beginner