Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night i upgraded to KDE 3.5.5-89.1 in smart. When i rebooted I had no GUI. I ran yast and downgraded KDEbase3, KDEbase3-suse and KDEbase3-kdm back to 3.5.1 and on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrade to KDE 3.5.5-89.1 gone wrong

Last night i upgraded to KDE 3.5.5-89.1 in smart. When i rebooted I had no GUI. I ran yast and downgraded KDEbase3, KDEbase3-suse and KDEbase3-kdm back to 3.5.1 and on reboot i got the KDM login back but when I tried to log in to KDE it loads the kde splash then about the time it should show the desktop and load my start up apps, it just has a black background and my mouse. I'm able to get into FVWM and Windowmaker just fine, so i've been using them to try to get KDE back up but no luck.

Anyone know the way to fix it? Let me know of any configs that may help to figure out the problem.

Ok i got it working. Here's how. I don't know if something in this process specifically fixed it or if i got lucky, but maybe i can help someone else.

I reinstalled the upgrade and again just got the command prompt, so i edited /opt/kde3/bin/startkde

change
    LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup
    to
    LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup
    as this had worked on a previous issue, but nothing changed.

So i used smart shell to downgrade just kdebase3-kdm to 3.5.1-69.
    rebooted and logged into kde just fine.