Find the answer to your Linux question:
I went into Computer Management (I'm using Mandriva 2007) and then to Themes while using KDE. I applied one of the default themes and didn't like it so switched back, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KDE Removing window bars and changing theme

I went into Computer Management (I'm using Mandriva 2007) and then to Themes while using KDE.

I applied one of the default themes and didn't like it so switched back, but then the blue bars at the top of all of my windows disappeared and I can't move around or resize windows. It's always been that way when I log in as 'root', but now it's like that as normal users. I've restarted, tried applying other themes, but they all refuse to reset back to my defauly or give me window functionality back.

Another result is that the keyboard does not work. I can not type addresses or do any keyboard shortcuts. Strangely the "Windows" key works.

I'm using Gnome at the moment to type this post. My KDE version is 3.5, I think. Any ideas?

That's really, really strange. Maybe there's a bug in kwm? I guess as a last resort, you could try checking the changelog for KDE (unless you have the very latest version) to see if any bugs like that got found and fixed.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Linux User
    Hi lahonda_99,
    Delete the .kde directory and the .kderc file in your home directory using a GNOME session and then logout and start a KDE session. Now, KDE should start with default theme and features. But, any custom changes in appearance or other window manager related features that you had made for your previous KDE sessions will be lost.

With Regards,
    Thinker

That *is* a good way for resetting all the settings. Still, my point was that it shouldn't have been doing that in the first place.
    I have sold my soul to the penguin

Thank you both for the replies. Last night I uninstalled kde then reinstalled it. Bad Idea. Every program that comes with KDE I had to reinstall

Linux (or any Unix programs) function a little differently to Windows programs. There's not much reason to uninstall and reinstall one unless the program binaries have corrupted. That in itself is unlikely. Removing/renaming the .kde directory as mentioned is the best option, as it changes your KDE options back to defaults by creating a new configuration. Because installing KDE themes is only done for that specific user it should have corrected everything.