Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am so comfused about "compiz", 'cause it always goes hand in hand with "xgl". when I visit the "gnome-look", there is a "compiz theme", so how can I change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy How can I use "compiz"

I am so comfused about "compiz", 'cause it always goes hand in hand with "xgl". when I visit the "gnome-look", there is a "compiz theme", so how can I change "compiz theme", do I need any configuration?

Thanks a lot!!

Linux Newbie
    more than likely what you want is xgl. what version of linux are you running?

Xgl is an X server based on OpenGL which runs over a normal X server, Compiz uses Xgl for its drawing operations (wobbly windows, rotating cube) w
    Xgl is getting deprecated since new X Servers now come with an extension called AIGLX that lets you use OpenGL in a normal X Server. The most popular way of getting the 3D desktop.

Google with you distro name and beryl should get you some tutorials
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hughitt1
    more than likely what you want is xgl. what version of linux are you running?
    I use suse 10.1, and I have installed xgl/compiz, that can run 3D desktop in my computer.

but, My comfusion is I know that I can enable the xgl or disable through control center, but I didn't find any tab can change the "compiz theme"

any suggestion?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    Xgl is an X server based on OpenGL which runs over a normal X server, Compiz uses Xgl for its drawing operations (wobbly windows, rotating cube) w
    Xgl is getting deprecated since new X Servers now come with an extension called AIGLX that lets you use OpenGL in a normal X Server. The most popular way of getting the 3D desktop.

Google with you distro name and beryl should get you some tutorials
    I get it, thank u ^_^