Find the answer to your Linux question:
My dad got a DVD movie for christmas, but the only DVD player in the house is my desktop PC, and dad's computer phobic. So I was thinking perhaps I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Video output to TV

My dad got a DVD movie for christmas, but the only DVD player in the house is my desktop PC, and dad's computer phobic. So I was thinking perhaps I can play the movie on my computer, and send the output to the TV as my sound card has a RCA video out on it.

I tried this, and while the TV will display terminal output, it goes blank as soon as X-Windows starts. I had a bit of a mess about with resolution, but I still just get a blank screen on the TV, ctrl-alt-F* to a terminal and I get that display on the TV, so the problem must be with X-Windows.

Specs;
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 5200
    Monitor: 17" CRT (old Dell)
    TV: 13" PAL CRT
    Distro: Suse 10.2
    GUI: KDE 3.5.5

Yast has a PAL setting for resolution (768x576) but even on that setting there's still no display on the TV with X.

Anyone got any idea's on how to get the TV to display.. or alternately, is there a CLI DVD player I could try? I'd rather get X on the TV though.

Anyone got any idea's on how to get the TV to display.. or alternately, is there a CLI DVD player I could try? I'd rather get X on the TV though.
    You can try MPlayer on framebuffer
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

The problem isn't with X, it's with the configuration. I assume you have this in your graphics card device section:
    Code:
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
    The NVIDIA card provides the "ConnectedMonitor" option, and if any of the parameters are "TV", it automatically puts everything onto TV-OUT. Sometimes that's what you want, sometimes not, as in your case. Here's my configuration for splitting my display between my screen and TV:

(This is in the graphics card device section)
    Code:
    Option "TwinView" "true"
    Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf" # Modify accordingly
    Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
    Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "30"
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Great, thanks Javasnob, it's working fine now!