Find the answer to your Linux question:
I think that's what's happening, anyway. After upgrading the Nvidia driver, and then letting many Ubuntu updates do their thing, a particular application that I believe uses OpenGL would crash ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenGL crashing w/ Nvidia driver 1.0-9746

I think that's what's happening, anyway. After upgrading the Nvidia driver, and then letting many Ubuntu updates do their thing, a particular application that I believe uses OpenGL would crash the X server when I opened it. I'm on a dual screen, and one of them would turn into all giant technicolored ASCII for a second, and then I'd be back at the login screen. This happens every time.

Checking in the NVIDIA X Server Settings, the exact same thing happens when I click on the "OpenGL/GLX Information" option in the list, every time. "OpenGL Settings" doesn't cause problems, but the other one immediately crashes me out. Anyone have an idea what's happening here? Everything else so far works as before, across both monitors. Thanks.

Did the Ubuntu updates include a kernel update? You will have to reinstall your 3D drivers every time your kernel gets updated.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Did the Ubuntu updates include a kernel update? You will have to reinstall your 3D drivers every time your kernel gets updated.
    That was it. A reinstall of the drivers has saved the day. Thanks very much!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close