Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm looking to get into Linux (really getting tired of the Windows problems), and when I get Linux, I want to get a desktop environment. From what I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE or GNOME

Ok, I'm looking to get into Linux (really getting tired of the Windows problems), and when I get Linux, I want to get a desktop environment. From what I can find, the two most successful ones are KDE and GNOME. What I want to know is:
    -Which is more stable?
    -Which has more features?
    -Which is more customizable?
    -Which (if any) is better for personal computer use?
    -Which (if any) supports WINE and WINEx better(for my gaming)?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on these questions.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used KDE extensively, so I can't compare it to GNOME. However, I can tell you that Wine and WineX are completely unrelated to any of them, so that is no concern. I can also that if you're planning on using KDE, don't choose RedHat, since RedHat has made a lot of less favorable modifications to KDE.

Just Joined!
    I was planning on getting the kernel source from online and making a boot disk to install it from, so I guess the distribution wouldn't matter (I know this is probably more complicated than getting RedHat or Debian or whatnot, but I have some local help that I can con into helping me get Linux working)

Linux Guru
    Compiling the kernel from source? You do know that you'll need GCC and the GNU bin-tools for that, right? They aren't available for Windows; _maybe_ DJGPP will work. If anything, you should try LFS or gentoo.

Linux Enthusiast
    DJGPP will not work. If you want to run LFS, I think they have some places to get boot disks that give you everything you need to actually do it. Not positive though.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.