Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm attempting to install Fluxbox using the instructions found here as I have done on a few other computers (as well as the same one over and over again each ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fluxbox and GDM

I'm attempting to install Fluxbox using the instructions found here as I have done on a few other computers (as well as the same one over and over again each time I had to reinstall the OS).

tar -xzvf Fluxbox-1.0rc2.tar.gz
    ./configure
    make
    su root
    make install

It's always worked just fine and I did it no differently than usual, but with this computer, I can't seem to find any way to load Fluxbox. The GDM loads as usual on startup, but Fluxbox does not not appear under Session. Only KDE, Gnome, and the failsafes.

I tried installing it again, thinking perhaps I missed a step. Nothing. Again. Nothing. And so on. I even tried using just basic command shell with no GUI and telling it "exec /usr/local/bin/fluxbox" and "exec fluxbox" and was told it couldn't connect to XServer, so I toyed with commands ("XServer", "exec XServer", "startx") until I gave up and went back to GDM.

Then I noticed every time I loaded GDM, I had to reselect the appearance style. It doesn't seem to save it (it does, however, remember the background color I'd chosen). Could it be possible that Fluxbox is installed fine, but GDM isn't noticing it?

All the computers I've done this with are working with the same distro of Debian, so I don't think it's a compatibility problem.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

I didn't know there was a Fluxbox Wiki. That's embarrassing. But, it worked. Thanks!