Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know how to set up something so that i can access my Linux PC (Mandrake 10 Community) over the web on any PC. My dad using a similar idea, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Remote Access Over WWW

Anyone know how to set up something so that i can access my Linux PC (Mandrake 10 Community) over the web on any PC. My dad using a similar idea, but access Windows w/ Windows. I want to be able to access Linux w/ Windows, Linux, or Mac. Any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    Making it available over SSH/Telnet is a peace of cake.
    Just set up an SSH server and then use an SSH-client from anywhere.

You can tunnel the Xserver as well, so you can get graphics sent over
    (but then you have to have a Xserver running on the remote box you are logging in from)

/ooop

Linux Guru
    VNC can do as you require if you require a GUI, there is a tutorial available in the tutorials section. vnc can be downloaded from www.realvnc.com

Alternativly you can use SSH as someone suggested for command line access, and use a windows tool called putty to access the box.

Jason

i have successfully installed realvnc, but when ever i connect to my linux machine all i get is a gray screen, any ideas. i already added the kde line to xstartup.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatjesusweed
    i have successfully installed realvnc, but when ever i connect to my linux machine all i get is a gray screen, any ideas. i already added the kde line to xstartup.
    which version are you using?

I recently installed the newest version at RealVNC's site, and just set everyhting up and was only getting the CLI in one window floating over a grey background.

The xstartup was set up this way:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
    #unset SESSION_MANAGER
    #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
    [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid grey
    vncconfig -iconic &
    xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
    gnome-session &
    And I had to remove the # from unset SESSION_MANAGER & exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

After I did that I was able to get into xwindows with no issues.

ya i have the latest version, but don't have those 2 lines, should i add them?

Just Joined!

Re: Remote Access Over WWW

Quote Originally Posted by fatjesusweed
    Anyone know how to set up something so that i can access my Linux PC (Mandrake 10 Community) over the web on any PC. My dad using a similar idea, but access Windows w/ Windows. I want to be able to access Linux w/ Windows, Linux, or Mac. Any ideas?
    Maybe you should try NX from NoMachine. It offers a wide range of clients for Linux, Windows andMAC OS. You can then purchase a Personal Edition (very cheap) and bingo you get remote access to your desktop. I use it to get onto my computer at home when I'm at the University. You can use any network, performance is brilliant.
    [/url]