Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed 720degrees which is debian-sarge/2.4 for the little HPC HP Jornada 728. Overall runs great! However, I was using IceWM and was working OK until I just changed a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Changed Some Prefs & Now No More WM???

Just installed 720degrees which is debian-sarge/2.4 for the little HPC HP Jornada 728. Overall runs great!

However, I was using IceWM and was working OK until I just changed a few prefs in the Preference window. It then said to reboot to make changes....

Logged out and back in...

Since then, when I try do 'startx' as user, I only get to the 'gray screen' and then it shows a little white rectangle at the bottom that says 'workspace 0'.

If I do 'startx' as root, then I can get to IceWM desktop.

I should be able to get to IceWM desktop as user without being root, right??

Meanwhile, here's what I seen in the terminal:

Code:
    $startx
    hostname: Host name lookup failure
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/archimark1/serverauth.3141
    xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "jornada:0" in "list" command
    xauth: (stdin):1: bad display name "jornada:0" in "add" command

warning: mode not found, using default

could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc, removing from list!
    could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, removing from list!
    could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, removing from list!

xinit: connection to X server lost
    waiting for X server to shut down

xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "jornada:0" in "remove" command
    So, any suggestions as to how to deal with this??

Also, since my 728 display is a very skinny rectangle, wide but very little heighth, I either like to:

A) Move the taskbar to be running vertical along the left or right edge of the display

B) or if it's not possible to do 'A' above with IceWM then consider using another WM that is fairly light (as the Jornada 728 is light on RAM and is 206MHz StrongArm cpu) ....but can have taskbar on the side. Also, would need to be fairly easy to install and setup...

Any recommendations to consider?

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

hey! try removing your user (the user where X don't work), delete all the user desktop settings, and then create a new user but with a different user name.
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tvilkov
    hey! try removing your user (the user where X don't work), delete all the user desktop settings, and then create a new user but with a different user name.
    Thanks for your help and advice, tvilkov!

Just wish I had this idea 2 weeks ago....since I did not know what to do, I went ahead and re-installed Debian fresh....works great now....but know I will know what to do if there is a next time for this.....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You're welcome!
    Gentoo 2.6.24 amd64
    AMD Anthlon 64 X2, 2 GB RAM, Asus M2N-MX, nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512Mb, 250Gb + 160Gb HDDs