Find the answer to your Linux question:
I work at a small, private school where I have begun installing FC6 on the computers used by the students. I am using gnome as the desktop environment, and NIS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Automount /home directory problem

I work at a small, private school where I have begun installing FC6 on the computers used by the students. I am using gnome as the desktop environment, and NIS to distribute user information. I also want to use a centralized /home directory to allow students to use any computer. I have autofs set up, and the remote directory is automounted when logging in using a text console. But when users log in using the gnome graphical login screen, the /home directory is not automounted. The system warns that the user's home directory "does not appear to exist." If I log in in text mode, the automount is apparently triggered, and subsequent graphical logins work perfectly.
    The relevant line in my auto.master file is:
    /home /etc/auto.home --timeout 600

And my auto.home file reads:
    * -fstype=nfs,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,nosuid, tcp \
    192.168.1.201:/home:&

I am fairly new to linux, and this problem has me baffled. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

Linux User
    does it work without NIS?... Export the home directory and mount it using autofs(with the password file and shadow file on the local node but with home directory on the nfs server)

thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nature
    does it work without NIS?... Export the home directory and mount it using autofs(with the password file and shadow file on the local node but with home directory on the nfs server)

thanks
    I tried your suggestion and login works properly with local passwords. Is there any way to make this setup work with NIS?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    hello,
    I am glad it worked,I am not sure why it wouldn't work with NIS supported password and shadow files.Moreover, care should be taken with NIS shadow files because NIS has a reputation of being extremely insecure.
    (I would rather go without NIS-shadow)

thanks