Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I just got my copy of Linux XP desktop and wanted to know if instead of partitioning my internal winxp harddrive, if I could just install the OS on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Linux XP on external harddrive???

Hi! I just got my copy of Linux XP desktop and wanted to know if instead of partitioning my internal winxp harddrive, if I could just install the OS on an external harddrive and use it from there, or is that even possible? Please help! Thanks!!!!!

'http://www.linux-xp.com/' <---thats the site!

hi Arikun,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

its possible to install any Linux Distro in External Harddisk.
    if your machine's BIOS supports booting up from External disk, then it will be easy to setup everything.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Exclamation

so how do i know if my BIOS supports it or not? also, do i have to partition my external drive like i would have to with the other? thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    so how do i know if my BIOS supports it or not?
    check your BIOS boot up sequence, if it has 'boot from removable device' option, your BIOS supports External disk boot up.
    do i have to partition my external drive like i would have to with the other?
    yes. you have to create partitions. leave unpartitioned free space for Linux and installer will create/format partitions.

Exclamation

lol srry, this gettin annoyin for you yet? how do i check my BIOS boot up sequence..? so then i also have to move my lifes in the external drive so i dont lose them, no? what is it about partitioning that makes all the files at risk of vanishing...it sucks....thanks tho!

oh wait! i figured it out. how much space should i leave free for linux, or should i stop bugging you guys and do a google search... thanks cyu

6-10 GB space is enough unless you are going to install some databases or webserver packages.
    i couldn't reply coz of time-zone problem. you are Welcome to ask here.

Exclamation

where do i look for ''boot from removable device' option'..? i press 'f1' when it first starts up and a screen comes up with stuff, but idk where still to find it or look for it....

check in Advanced Configuration section of BIOS. i can't tell exact location coz BIOS software and version differ machine to machine.

Exclamation

guess i cant, but how do i make a live cd for linux xp? the easy version of explanations, please, lol.