Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi As far as using GNOME is concerned I am totally new to it. Using Gnome 2.16.0. First of all I wanted to customize my desktop so I went to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Gnome themes

Hi

As far as using GNOME is concerned I am totally new to it. Using Gnome 2.16.0.
    First of all I wanted to customize my desktop so I went to gnome-look.org and found themes under Metacity and Beryl section. I am not sure which one I am using. How can I find that out?

Secondly which ever I would have been using I should have been able to install a theme from atleast one of them (is there a third one too?). In the theme changing window if I choose to install a beryl theme it says theme format not valid and when I choose to install a metacity theme it says installed but this theme does not appear in the theme choosing window.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Just Joined!
    A beryl theme would need to be installed through Beryl Settings manager, or something like that, I dont have it intsalled in anymore but look in System>Preferences>Beryl Settings Mangager.

If it said it installed the metacity theme, click on 'Theme Details' and then in the window border section chose your new theme. To change the main look of gnome intall a new gtk theme and choose that from the controls section.

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Hi

I looked but there was no window border option. I figured out the problem. It was the "desktop effects". After disabling them I got the "window border" option working.

Thanks for your help. I really did not know about the gtk themes.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page