Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! I've been going crazy with this one... When Linux (Vine 4.0) first starts up on the command line all Japanese text shows up garbled. English text is fine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

In Bash Japanese characters are junk w/o GUI, ok from GUI

Hi there! I've been going crazy with this one... When Linux (Vine 4.0) first starts up on the command line all Japanese text shows up garbled. English text is fine. When I start the GUI all Japanese text renders just fine. When I start up a terminal session from the GUI all Japanese text renders fine. The present Bash locale settings in the configuration file are as follows:

export LANG="ja_JP.utf8"
    export LC_ALL="ja_JP.utf8"
    export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"

I've also tried replacing the above with "ja_JP.eucJP" and "en_JP.utf8" with no luck. Essentially, Bash via the gui is fine, Bash not started from the GUI is messed up. Help!

Just Joined!
    Does anybody have any ideas? I haven't been able to progress any further on this. The problem I don't think has anything to do with bash or the locale settings because those settings should be the same (and are) whether you run bash from inside the GUI or without. So the problem must be related to differences in GUI-dependent configuration files and non-gui dependent configuration files? Like maybe settings in the Gnome terminal? (where are the Gnome terminal configuration files anyways? An internet search yields nothing.) Are there any non-gui-dependant configuration files outside of Bash that I can look at?