Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to implement this. There's no problem in hardware. All I want to know what application that can make 3 user or more login with X using 1 cpu.Main ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

1 cpu and 3 users simultaneously using X

I want to implement this. There's no problem in hardware. All I want to know what application that can make 3 user or more login with X using 1 cpu.Main purpose of this is cost-cutting.However, I have no idea how can I implement this.Anyone familiar with what kind of application I must use? Here's the setup:

1 cpu (has 3 monitor slot,3 keyboard slot,3 mouse slot)
    3 monitors, 3 keyboard, 3 mouse

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the solution is to run an X server for each "terminal", using a different xorg.conf file for each. There might be a simplier solution; I don't know.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Linux Enthusiast
    Have you looked at the LTSP (short for Linux Terminal Server Project)? It implements exactly what you're talking about. You should also check the this article on TLDP:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Mock-Mainframe/
    Keep in mind what the article says about the more CPUs the better! If you can upgrade to a dual core or a dual processor it's best. With a single processor machine you will only be able to do 1 thing at a time. Also, depending what environment you choose you'll need the RAM to support it.

I've looked into it for myself, but I don't have the infrastructure to implement it seeing as each computer in my house is in a different location and now we've upgraded to laptops as opposed to desktops.
    "Today you are freer than ever to do what you want, provided you can pay for it!" --Bad Religion