Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Red Hat 8.0 with KDE, and whenever I open up a folder it comes up with this irritating "Navigation Panel" on the side. I can press F9 to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Ed
    Just Joined!

Blasted navigation panel!

I'm running Red Hat 8.0 with KDE, and whenever I open up a folder it comes up with this irritating "Navigation Panel" on the side. I can press F9 to make it leave, or click the close button, but it's really annoying to have it come up every time I open up my folders to browse for files. Is there any way to close it and make it STAY closed the next time I open it, or am I stuck with this?

Ed
    Just Joined!
    From the lack of responses I figured maybe my post isn't too clear about the problem...so here's a screenshot.

The problem is the window section that comes up on the left each time I open a folder.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used KDE much, but now that I tried to start konqueror the navigation panel didn't show, and I know it did the first time I started it, so apparently it is possible to save that, though I don't know how. I don't think I did anything special, however. It seems KDE programs save their settings in ~/.kde/share/apps/, so if I were you, I'd check the config files there. Like I said, though, I've hardly used KDE at all, so I really can't say much about it.

Linux Engineer
    I am sure there is an option to disable that. Just open up the konq prefs and look around.

Ed
    Just Joined!
    Konqueror preferences doesn't show anything about it, and I don't really know what to look for in ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror.

Linux User

how to remove panel

Open your home directory.

Close the nav panel (f9)

Select WINDOW / SAVE VIEW PROFILE (File Management) from the menu bar.

Click OK at dialog box.

And its that easy.

Cheers

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.