Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running a box that has two windows partitions (one is ntfs, the other is vfat) in it as well as my linux partitions, I can mount these with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mount cmd spawns unwanted desktop icons

I am running a box that has two windows partitions (one is ntfs, the other is vfat) in it as well as my linux partitions, I can mount these with no problem as root, and after editing my /etc/fstab I can mount them from any accout in the users group. However, if I mount them from a user account, my desktop spawns two to three hard disk Icons, these dont go away when I unmount the drive either. So the only way I can get rid of them is by erasing them from a command line, and only if I su first. I have two methids for mounting the drives, either via the command line, or using the gnome disk-mounter applets I put in my panel, either of these methods spawns the aforementioned desktop objects. This does not happen from the root account, but does happen if I mount the cdroms from a user desktop via an su:root terminal.
    geuname . -a
    Linux archetype 2.4.20-gaming-r3 #1 Sun Feb 29 11:42:44 UTC 2004 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    nautilus --version
    Gnome nautilus 2.2.4
    gnome-about
    Gnome-2.2.2
    Gentoo distro

Linux Engineer
    apeterson, can you post what you type in to mount these devices?
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    I either type in mount "mount /mnt/D" or "mount /mnt/C" from a terminal, or click on the disk-mounter gnome applet for the drive I want to mount.
    Both the partitions and their respective mountpoints are listed in /etc/fstab.

the /etc/fstab looks like this
    /dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
    /dev/ROOT / xfs noatime 0 0
    /dev/SWAP none swap sw 0 0
    #/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/C ntfs noauto,users,ro 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /mnt/D vfat noauto,users,rw 0 0

both the drives mount with no problem. Although for some reason the permissions on /mnt/C revert to root only, which I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.
    the commands I used prior to rewriting my fstab were:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/D
    or
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/C

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Using your mount commands (mount /mnt/D) with that fstab looks the right thing to do. Can't see any reason why it should behave oddly as you describe. Hopefully someone else will come up with a solution.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    I have a feeling this is a GUI issue, rather than anything else, I just wish I knew which part of the GUI makes those Icons. Then perhaps I could figure out why it makes so many. Here is some details for my desktop setup:
    I have two screens; one for each monitor, each running off their own video card.
    Each screen is subdivided into four workspaces, as I am sure we are all familiar with.
    When these Icons are created,
    when a drive is mounted four shortcuts are created , labeled by drive letter and copy number,
    hence for drive D it would be D and D(1-3), in a column two icons high ( as in one below the other and one right on top of each. If I unmount the Drive and then remount it, four more will be created, and so on. These shortcuts are not erasable, and trying to get them to "eject" doesnt get rid of them either. They always show up on screen:0 never on screen:1. Whats really anoying is when they are created they force my panels to reload, and they dont come back up for a couple of seconds (like when one is changing themes).

I would really like to get this fixed, so if anyone would like more detail on any of this I will be happy to provide it. Hopefully someone will see something in all this that makes sense, and I can get this fixed.

Just Joined!
    postnote:

I updated my gnome release, from 2.2.2 to 2.6 and the problem disappeared. Apparently 2.2 was buggy in many ways, or so I have been told. I should have been updating it more often, but I had little desire to sit and watch bits of gnome compile themselves all day. This, as it turns out, was a mistake:

me@prompt: emerge -u gnome

computer: muhahaha.... gwahahaha....(cackles)

me@desk: *gulp*

computer: (in spooky transylvanian accent ala the count) Now emerging 1 out of 110 requested packages, don't hold your breath buddy.

Well it had to be done. So that problem is solved, now all I have to do is re-teach nautilus to resemble a sane piece of software again ; )