Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night my desktop went haywire. For some reason it just......went. (I lost the task bar and all Icons). This created a problem and I didn't know how to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE goes Kaput

Last night my desktop went haywire. For some reason it just......went. (I lost the task bar and all Icons).

This created a problem and I didn't know how to get back. After rebooting (I know I shouldn't have, but could get no results elsewere).

My question is this:

Is there a keystroke combination that will allow me to go into terminal mode? If I had that I would have been able to possibly shutdown properly.

I ended up doing a rescue (took all of 5 min). In the rescue I chose the option to upgrade rather than a new install. After rebooting everything was Intact!!!!

I am liking this more and more. Has anyone else ran across this problem?

Thanks all,

Michael

Hit
    Ctrl-Alt-F1

to get to a console
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just to build on what Juan Pablo said, CTRL-ALT-F1 through to CTRL-ALT-F6 works. CTRL-ALT-F7 gets you back to X (KDE for you).
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.