Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , I am using Fedora Core 4. I want to write an application using Xlib to directly write in to a frame buffer device.When i check in the /dev ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to write directly into a frame buffer driver

Hi ,
    I am using Fedora Core 4. I want to write an application using Xlib to directly write in to a frame buffer device.When i check in the /dev there is no /dev/fb0 device.
    When i use XOpenDisplay(NULL) it is using DISPLAY environment variable which is
    DISPLAY=:0.0 what this means. Can use just tell me how to write an application that directly writes to the screen i.e through xlib function i want to display the image on the screen.

Xlib provides access to the X Server, which provides an abstraction to graphics hardware, so I don't think there's any way to directly access a framebuffer with Xlib. DISPLAY= :0.0 means screen 0 (the second 0) on display 0 (the first). If all you need to do is draw an image on the screen, there's plenty of ways to do that with Xlib.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794

Just Joined!

How to write directly to frame buffer

Hi Javansob,
    Thanks for your reply. I have an MPEG-2 format file using X window programming can i able to play that MPEG-2 file. i.e i want to write my own application to Play MPEG-2 can i do that with xwindow programming. can Xv library can do that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, my experience is limited to pure Xlib programming; I know nothing about using the various video drivers. I recommend you search for it and read the mplayer/xine code; they'll provide a lot of hints.
    Flies of a particular kind, i.e. time-flies, are fond of an arrow.

Registered Linux User #408794