Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, As will become very clear...I am a Linux virgin! I installed it yesterday after trying out the cube on windows XP.. I have ubuntu 6 installed and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    seville, spain ..but from south wales (cardiff)

Question Beryl Cube

Hi All, As will become very clear...I am a Linux virgin! I installed it yesterday after trying out the cube on windows XP.. I have ubuntu 6 installed and the beryl destop manager which has all the cube options selected, I can't see any reason why this should't work, BUT I can't see the cube! if I press ctrl+alt+right two small blocks appear in the middle of the screen that says desk2.. but the cube has gone on holiday or is hiding because its heard that i've changed to Linux :P PLEASE HELP.

Just Joined!
    I don't know if you're still around/have already found out what's wrong, but...

1) Does the terminal give you any error messages/any info at all after you've opened beryl-manager through it?

2) Do the other beryl effects work?

3) Are you sure you have the right drivers for your graphics card? Is 3D acceleration enabled, and how are you running Beryl? Nvidia, XGL?

4) Does your desktop remain the same when you try and use the cube, or do you get some variant on a whitescreen?

I think the KDE compositor (translucency options) have an impact on Beryl as well -- sometimes the Beryl effects don't work if you have this feature enabled. It's probably the same for Gnome -- this is the default for Ubuntu, isn't it?

beryl cube

Thanks Jenna, I actually found it impossible to get going with ubuntu 6.1 after upgrading to 7.04 beryl behaved herself. That sounds as if it was all very easy doesn't it?.....I am actually on my 7th re-install !!!!! but learning thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rob223344 View Post
    ...I am actually on my 7th re-install !!!!! but learning
    Sounds like me a couple of years ago Good luck, and keep trying!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Hi Steve, I was wrong its not sorted! this is whats happening. I install edgy 6.1 update it because I have no choice and then update to feisty 7.04 there goes another day of my life I can´t get back! then I install nvidia glx new because that is what I read everywhere I need to get beryl running on my pc. I then go to preferences and activate 3D and the system says I need to install nvidia glx so I do it and reboot...by the way I still haven´t installed beryl because now I can´t find her. on restart the system tells me there is an error in /etc/X11/conf and it can´t display a desktop of any kind...grrrrr It won´t let me into that file and i can´t get past the fekking screen! SO unless you can tell me what i´m doing wrong, i´m going to wait the predicted 10 weeks for the installation disks to be delivered so i can install 7.04 directly to cut down the time (i only have 6.1 on CD)...my head hurts from pulling my hair out by the roots :P

smolloy I have what it says exactly. Failed to start the Xserver..nvidia kernel version 1.0-9755 Xmodule version 1.0-9631 Screens found but none have usable configuration. /etc/X11/xorg.conf hows life in san francisco? my friend lives about 2 hours from there in a place called Ione, close to Jackson....I LOVE SF