Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed beryl. The problem is that the bar at the top of the windows, that contains the minimize/maximize and exit buttons is gone. How can I fix this?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

beryl problem

I just installed beryl. The problem is that the bar at the top of the windows, that contains the minimize/maximize and exit buttons is gone. How can I fix this?
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

I have a similar problem periodically that when I start up, the window borders are gone (what you described). What I do to fix this is right click on the beryl-manager icon and select "Reload window decorator". This reloads "Emerald", the program that handles the window border decorations, and everything is back to normal.

This is only a temporary fix...but that's all I've got. It would be nice to know of a more permanent solution.
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Just Joined!
    You might want to check that Beryl is still selected in the "select window manager" option on the beryl-manager menu (found by rightclicking as described above) . Sometimes mine likes to select Metacity/Compiz instead, which is when my borders disappear.

Just Joined!

Now I'm getting it...

Now I have a case of the disappearing window borders. Long story short, I did something to Beryl I decided I didn't like trying to tweak some things, and couldn't figure out how to fix it. No biggie, just completely dump and reinstall Beryl, right? WRONG. Not only did it not fix the original issue, but I have to use Metacity to get the borders at all. Compiz is having the same issue now; if I select it, no window borders, which means no close button, maximize, etc. I still get the wobbliness in the windows, but to move them I have to hold Alt, as there is no border to grab. Please help; this is driving me nuts.
    Last edited by kulturloseramerikaner; 05-24-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by kulturloseramerikaner View Post
    No biggie, just completely dump and reinstall Beryl, right? WRONG.
    Linux is not Windows, removing and reinstalling an application will not reset the configuration. You can simply remove your settings from your home directory to reset the application. Look for the hidden folders/files beginning with a full stop - rename the .beryl directory to .beryl.old or something similar and then relaunch beryl.

The problem would be either that you have not installed Emerald or you are not running it. It is Emerald that draws your window borders and title bar. Make sure you have it installed, and then launch beryl by running
    Code:
    beryl-manager
    in a terminal. If you border does not launch right click on the beryl-manager icon and select emerald or gnome-window-decorator from the options. Post back any output in the terminal and let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 05-24-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added Quote

Just Joined!
    Bigtom, thanks, option 1 seems to have done the trick. I closed all the windows, renamed the file, and restarted Beryl and Beryl-manager from the console; all three issues I had seem to have been corrected. I knew I'd break something eventually but I suppose that's part of the learning curve. I've got another issue though - the screensaver will black out the screen sometimes, but not go to slideshow; instead only the cursor will be left. It will obediently turn into the index finger when ever it rests above a button but the only way I have of getting the desktop back is ctl-alt-bspace and start a new session in Gnome. What might this be? This an issue that cropped up one or two days before I made Beryl hate me.