Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am running Suse 9.1 on a Sony PCG-FRV26. The graphics card on this is an ATI Radeon IGP 345M. In order to get the graphics card working in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Interesting problem after updating DRI/Mesa/Radeon drivers

Hello,

I am running Suse 9.1 on a Sony PCG-FRV26. The graphics card on this is an ATI Radeon IGP 345M. In order to get the graphics card working in display mode I had to upgrade my DRI, Mesa and Radeon drivers from the CVS trees. The upgrade went fine and everything works great except one thing. KDM will not start. XDM when run from root works just fine but KDM stops. Here are the log files in question from /var/log/kdm.log that shows kdm failing.

AUDIT: Fri Jun 4 12:17:05 2004: 4220 X: client 2 rejected from local host
    Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
    AUDIT: Fri Jun 4 12:17:05 2004: 4220 X: client 2 rejected from local host
    Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Protocol not supported by server

kdmgreet: cannot connect to X server :0

I have tried setting the auth name to MIT-MAGIC-COOKIES-1 in /opt/kde3/share/config/kdmrc to no effect. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    is KDE being started as the root user?

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure I quite understand your question, so I will give all the details I can.

During boot my system starts XWindows, the little KDE clock comes up showing that KDM is attempting to start. Then it fails. If I log into my terminal with the root account I can start XDM manually. KDM started from the root account fails in the same way.

KDE will start from either root or a user account just fine using startx from the terminal.

The errors never change no matter which way I attempt to start KDM.

Just Joined!
    Well, I didn't want to have to do this, but as a temporary work around I added the -ac option to my server definition in my /etc/X11/Xservers file thus disabling access control. This is a desktop that sits behind a firewall, so for now this workaround while not ideal will work.